Share it Please
1. Skim the passage. What is the best possible title for the text? Indonesia Withdraw OPEC
2. Read the text carefully. What do the words “our” and “their” in the second paragraph refer to?
Our à Indonesia
Their à other OPEC member
3. According to the passage, what are some of the considerations that urge Indonesian government to leave OPEC?
a. Exporters want a personable or even high price since it is their main source of revenue, but Indonesia want oil prices to come down as high oil prices put pressure on their budget,
b. Declining investment in Indonesia’s oil infrastructure has seen It’s output drop below a million barrels a day from about 1.5m in the mid 1990s.
4. Pay attention to the word “drop”. Find at least 2 words in the text that may have similar meaning and then use them use them in sentence.
Sentence: Indonesian government will decrease the subsidies on fuel.
Sentence: The effect of Indonesian government reduce the subsidies on fuel is the price of fuel will increase.
5. Pay attention to the word “withdraw”. Look for its best meaning in the dictionary which matches the above article. Write down its part of speech as well as its other possible from of parts of speech ( verb, noun, adjective or adverb. Use each word in a sentence.
Withdraw: away from a situation.
Part of speech (verb, noun, adjective or adverb): decrease the subsidies is not good policy for Indonesian people.
Subsidies become an important road in a country that embraced welfare state system. Which, he served as tangible evidence of government’s responsibility in order welfare society. The impact of welfare is not merely economic issues contained in it. Why government so concentrated on economic issues is due to economic conditions can be established to guarantee soundness of other economic conditions. Human beings as economic actors must have the ability to vary in order to meet the needs. On the other hand, subsidy is a solution to the problem. Subsidies are considered able to function as a means of increasing people’s purchasing power. Therefore, the prosperity of a nation can be achieved by subsidizing one. International oil prices continue to increase and price increase it causes pressure on the state budget. Indonesia and finally taking action which such action is to increase sales of oil and the oil price increase it and make cuts in the country subsidies to reduce the burden of state budget expenditures.
Some analysts have said the oil exporting group’s reluctance to boost production has kept prices high. Oil analyst Kurtubi said that - as an oil importer - Indonesia’s concerns clashed with those of other OPEC members. “Indonesia’s interests now are different. We want oil prices to come down as high oil prices put pressure on our budget. But exporters want a personable or even high price since it is their main source of revenue”.
I agree with the government’s decision to cut oil subsidies and the increase in oil prices. For world oil prices and caused increased subsidies budget also increased, and it adds to the burden of state budged expenditure increased the possibility of Indonesia and foreign debt. And I think the decisions was taken by the government is correct and to overcome problems in the community because of the subsidy cuts is to develop alternative fuel otherwise people will feel more burdened later.
Source: The Economist, May 6th 2006
1. What is the best title for the passage?
The increasing tourism visitor
2. What is the best topic sentence of the second paragraph?
The government has set a target
3. According to the passage, what are some of the efforts made by the government to meet its target in tourism this year (2008)?
a. The government is trying to encourage tourists to spend more money while on vacation.
b. Boost (our efforts) in November and December by adding more foreign flights and by increasing interesting tourism events to lure tourists to stay longer and spend more here.
4. What does “lure” mean? Find the best synonym of the word “lure”.
Attractive qualities of something, (persuade)
5. According to the passage, what is the word “hardships” revering to? Find some words or phrases in the text that refer or correspond to the words “hardships”. Foreign and domestic tourists. Both foreign and domestic tourists must receive equal treatment because during such hardships domestic tourists can also contribute to the state coffer.
Tourism industry is one appropriate means of improving the economic progress of society. Tourism sector is an economic sector that has a very rapid growth than other sectors. The number of jobs created due to tourism and industry it has helped the government in the face of unemployment in Indonesia.
“Government is cooperating with tourism players such as Asita, hoteliers and airlines to improve promotions and services, increase the number of foreign flights and end events in tourism spot and maintain security,” Wacik said. “We will boost (our efforts) in November and December by adding more foreign flights and by increasing interesting tourism events to lure tourists to stay longer and spend more here.”
I agree with the government in an effort to improve or develop the tourism industry in developing and promoting tourist attractions that have not visited by foreign tourists, for example Natuna island, Danau Toba, and etc, so not only Bali. Increasing the security of tourism object will make the tourist feel comfortable when they visit the tourism object in Indonesia, so they will visit in Indonesia in a long time. Increasing the service is one of important things, for example increasing Indonesian ability in using English language to make good conversation with foreign tourist but it’s still use Indonesia language to keep our culture Thus, the tourists attracted to come to Indonesia and if number of tourists increases so the income of a country will increases also. And with the increase in the amount of income will increase citizen welfare.Source: The Jakartapost.com, October 14th 2008